Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/28/2014

Into the Woods (2014)

A pretty great translation from stage to screen, though there were a couple of missteps. I think Johnny Depp just didn’t work as the wolf. The stage version has exposed genitalia on the wolf costume and I get that they were probably going more "family friendly" in this version, but taming the sexual innuendo between Red and the Wolf just made things weird. And I don’t understand the cutting of the second princes’ duet (vid below) as it would’ve served as a much-needed lighter moment in what ended up being a very heavy back half.

B

Labels: , , , , , ,