Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/20/2015

Knock Knock, It's Tig Notaro (2015)

Tig and comic Jon Dore hit the road for an unconvential tour. People applied online to host the gigs in their homes/fields/abandoned churches so that’s where they’re going. Neither Tig nor Jon are my type of comics. I just find them a tad too conversational, like chatting with a droll friend. While I think they'd definitely be fun to hang out with, their bits with audiences convey a "I guess it's funnier in person" vibe.

Thankfully, the movie really comes alive during the off-stage moments. Jon and Tig have a great always-on-but-always-deadpan way with each other that is far funnier than their shows are. I enjoyed their boat/shooting excursion, their flea market stop, and just about all of the in-car scenes. I’m not sure that was worth making a movie for though.

C+

Labels: , , , ,