Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/16/2017

The Lobster (2016)

If you’re single, you’re taken to a hotel where you have to find a partner within a certain amount of time or be turned into an animal of your choosing. You can extend your time in the hotel by successfully hunting & tranquilizing the singletons who've escaped to live in the woods.

Everything I’d read about this prior to seeing it convinced me that this would be my type of story, but instead it was just weird. Sometimes that can be cool: I can definitely get down with some weirdness. But this was never anything but off-the-charts nuts -- but in the absolute dullest manner. For example, in one scene a man is talking to his new partner and their assigned daughter over a meal. He tells them the weight of a basketball and says "did you know that?" Neither the woman nor the girl did know that. He then says "Do you know how much a volleyball weighs?" and the girl responds sincerely "No, but I'd love to find out." See? It's weird. It's not funny or interesting.

I kept thinking “oh, here’s where it’s gonna get good," but it just never really did. Gary apologetically bailed after about 40 minutes and he definitely made the right decision.

D+

Labels: , , , , ,