Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/09/2017

42 (2013)

Story of Jackie Robinson going to work for the Dodgers and the genteel racism he encountered. This was Disneyfied to the extreme -- yes, there was a bucketload of the n-word, but I never felt as though Robinson was in danger and I’ll bet the reality of the situation was far different.

At first, Jackie was persona non grata. But by late season fellow players are putting their arms around him publicly and asking him to join them in the showers (in a scene played for awkward comic relief). It was just so square that I believe even Ron Howard would have thought it was a tad too tame.

C-

Labels: , ,