Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/18/2018

Life of the Party (2018)

I've come to the conclusion that I just don't think Melissa McCarthy can carry a film. She's funny in short bursts -- e.g. SNL sketches or her supporting work in Bridesmaids -- but once you force her to fill 90 minutes on her own? It just low-key riffing that gets old pretty quick.

I have a feeling that each scene in the script said something like "At home: Deanna burns Dan's stuff -- improvise" and "80s themed sorority party -- improvise" because the story is see-through thin and the jokes are barely-there. I'm sure that everyone on-set was having a ball but, unfortunately, that fun doesn't make it to the screen.

C

Labels: , ,