Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/19/2019

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

For the first 15 minutes or so, I felt off-balance and not in a good way. There were two problems: I was kind of bored by the low-key family drama and I wondered if perhaps we'd somehow rented the 3-D version of the film and didn't have the necessary eyewear to see it clearly. But once we start meeting Spider-people, the story whipped into shape. And once I grew accustomed to the various animation looks, I could appreciate them rather than feel as though I was constantly noticing/adjusting to them.

It was fast and clever in the vein of Deadpool, but without the raunch. It was also inspiring to see so many different types of spider-people... a terrific message of diversity and that, even when we feel like we're alone/not like anyone else, there are others going through the same stuff.

A worthy recipient of the Best Animated Feature Oscar.

B

Labels: , , , , ,