Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/26/2019

Voyeur (2017)

Gerald Foos buys a motel and modifies it so that there are observation platforms above each of the rooms, then watches and documents what he sees. Journalist Gay Talese was first contacted by this guy about three decades ago and is now releasing a book on the subject. But is he trustworthy?

The film winds up being as much about Talese as it does Foos. I found myself assessing the two men and coming to much the same conclusion: they both have assigned themselves "work" and think that their findings are way more important than they are. They are, actually, both voyeurs.

Undeniably interesting, but I also felt pretty gross afterward. Plus Foos reminds me so much of my father in law that family get-togethers will likely be even more uncomfortable now.

C+

Labels: , , ,