Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/05/2019

Rocketman (2019)

This movie just worked for me. During the first musical number, I leaned over to Gary and said "this will win a production award" because, somehow, most of the neighborhood people looked black-and-white, though I could clearly see they were in color. Little Elton (née Reggie) was just so much more vivid than the others. It was a lovely trick. Most of the musical interludes felt heightened yet still organic & Egerton does a terrific job in the lead role. I really didn't know he had it in him.

My one complaint is all about the "tooth gap" makeup. It basically looked like a line had been drawn on one of his front teeth with a country-blue marker -- the effect was more of an unhealthy tooth than a gap. With so many closeups of his smile, they should've just CG'd that. I saw the PBS miniseries of Les Miserables just a month or so ago, and they convinced me that Lily Collins had gaping holes where her front teeth used to be. Since I'm pretty sure Rocketman's budget was more ample than PBS can afford, there's no excuse here.

B+

Labels: , , , ,