Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/11/2020

Pride (2014)

The true & incredibly inspiring story of a group of gays deciding to raise money in support of miners during their strike from 1984-85 in the UK.

This is a perfect example of how to do feel-good correctly. I felt like I knew the people and found myself crying several times as I watched them struggle, fail, and succeed. The truly uplifting message is that we all have commonalities -- in this case both the queer community and the miners experienced mistreatment by the government. We can bond over those shared experiences and then grow to celebrate our differences as well. No one is completely "other."

What a joy this was.

A-

Labels: , , ,