Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/23/2020

Paper Heart (2009)

Charlyne Yi plays herself making a documentary about a subject she doesn't understand: love. She and her crew travel around the country asking people for their takes on love. Early into the filming, Charlyne meets Michael Cera, who expresses interest in getting to know her better.

For the first portion of my watch, I thought this was an actual documentary that happened to have a director who looks remarkably like Jake Johnson. When I finally caved and checked on IMDb halfway through, I found that it was Jake playing the actual director (Nick), so I was still pretty confused as to whether or not this was a real thing. That was pretty annoying to me because, if it was real, I could be fine with all of Yi's quirks -- I mean, what can you do if that's really who she is? But, since I now know that it's not real, I'm just wondering what the purpose of the obfuscation was.

C-

Labels: , , , ,