Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/25/2020

The Mustang (2019)

Roman is a violent offender who has been in prison for a dozen years and who doesn't do well with people. Coming into a new prison system, he's assigned outdoor work and, eventually, is accepted into the horse training program. In working with a high-spirited wild animal, Roman is humbled and gains pride in his abilities. This opens him up to growth in other ways.

Though there are obvious flaws -- I doubt seriously that the program was accurately depicted (at least I hope it wasn't) -- I was genuinely moved by this film. I was also encouraged to read the end notes in which we are told that prisoners involved in this program are much less likely to re-offend. That makes perfect sense to me and gives me hope that prison as true rehabilitation rather than simply as punishment might actually be possible in America.

B

Labels: , ,