Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/29/2020

A Ghost Story (2017)

I liked this. Then I got annoyed with it. Then I outright hated it. Then I rolled my eyes. Then the story came around again and I got teary-eyed.

This is a pretty big concept told in an incredibly frustrating format. So many scenes went on for just way too long -- I'm thinking especially of 5+ minute oration by a pompous attention-seeker on creating something that lasts. That no one at the table interrupted him or got up and left is probably one of the most unbelievable things I've ever seen in a movie. Then there's the famous pie-eating scene, which also goes on for about 5 minutes and, weirdly, shows us all that Rooney Mara apparently stays slim by getting a bizarre "stabbing" workout prior to each bite she raises to her mouth (see scene below).



But there's an undeniable poignancy that stays with you even after the sheet deflates and lies, finally empty, on the floor.

C+

Labels: , , , ,