Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/05/2020

Death Note (2017)

According to most of the internet, this movie sucks. I am, apparently, out of touch since I really dug it.

Light, a high school kid, is given a weird-looking "Death Note" book by an even weirder-looking monster that only he can see. The basic rules are: write a name while thinking of the person's face and they will die in the manner you specify IF you specified. He soon, with the help of his new girlfriend, is acting as an avenging angel, striking down rapists, molesters, gangs, etc. Soon his detective father has been put on the case, as has the mysterious "L."

It's great fun for someone like me, who knew nothing of the anime or Japanese film before seeing this. I completely understand that fans would cry "that's not what's supposed to happen!!" But I thought it stood tall on its own merits. I am now interested in the source.

B+

Labels: , , , , , , ,