Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/22/2020

Stronger (2017)

I'm assuming that most non-Bostonians are like me: we knew of Jeff Bauman -- the guy who lost his legs in the Boston Marathon bombing -- but that's about it. I couldn't have told you anything specific other than that he existed but I still had a vague feeling of inspiration surrounding the idea of him. So, this movie was interesting mostly for the fact that it pierces that "angel" bubble that surrounds survivors. 

Jeff wasn't a hero. He wasn't even a runner. He was just an average guy who still lived with his mom and had a job at Costco. He struggled and was angry and sorry for himself and just very human. Though he was annoying, it was refreshing for there to be some honesty around tragedy. Most people will struggle and be angry and sorry for themselves -- why is that so rarely conveyed?

Despite my admiration for the honesty, I cannot call this a great movie. I'll go with "educational."

C+

Labels: , ,