Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/28/2020

The Marrying Kind (1952)

Florence and Chet meet cute, get married, have a couple of kids, and seem to have a pretty great life. He's got a stable job at the post office and she's happy to be a homemaker. But he's jealous (over nothing) and dissatisfied with his position in life -- always dreaming of making it big. When they lose a child, it's too much strain for their marriage and they wind up in divorce court. Or that's what I saw.

What the denouement pushes is a "they're made for each other" and "it's both of their faults that they got here" narrative. Which, no. If they wanted me to blame her, they should've given me a reason to do so. I think Florrie would be better off without the sourpuss man-baby in her home.

D+

Labels: , , ,