Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/23/2021

Olivia (1954)

Olivia is a newcomer to an all-girls boarding school in France, run by the fragile Miss Cara and the magnetic Miss Julie. Most of the girls are under the spell of one or the other of the women and Olivia finds herself firmly in the "Julie" camp. Miss Julie herself is definitely grooming some of the girls -- "bettering" them with literature and trips to Paris and promising to come to them in the night -- only to allow them to fall into the depths of despair when her promises are broken or another girl receives attention.

I found this film to be an uncomfortable mix of titillation and confusion. I wasn't always sure what was going on, but I know I'd pull my child out of that school immediately and call the police. Those girls are gonna be screwed up for life.

C+

Labels: , ,