Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/10/2021

Sound of Metal (2020)

Ruben, the drummer in a metal duo, suffers major and sudden hearing loss. Because he's a former addict, his bandmate/girlfriend is particularly concerned that it could cause a relapse, so he agrees to spend time at a facility to learn how to handle his new reality. Riz Ahmed turns in a gorgeous performance. His frustration, desperation, resistance and fear just hit me in the heart.

Gary and I discussed the film afterward, and I was just so sad and angry on Ruben's behalf. Are there really places like that facility? If so, why? I get how important immersion could be -- but I'm never in favor of separating a person from those they love when a crime isn't involved. Why not integrate family/lovers into the new reality as well? I'm sure I'm wrong... I mean, I'm no therapist... but the trajectory was inevitable. Just as in "Like Crazy," how can love be expected to overcome prolonged separation?

A-

Labels: , , ,