Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/29/2021

Get In (2019)

A family returns from a two-month vacation to discover that the couple they allowed to stay in their house during that time has changed the locks. Since the squatters are paying the utilities, the law is on their side. What a great set-up -- I was putting myself in their shoes and trying to figure out what I'd do... just great fodder. But the homeowners are hardly people to root for, and I think that's the biggest problem here. Paul's a teacher with a quick temper but little experience standing up for himself. Chloe's almost too chill about the situation and -- though they're in therapy due to her infidelity -- she's still a little too close to their male friends. 

When Mickey, the rough owner of the trailer park in which they're staying (and Chloe's former lover) takes Paul under his wing, things start to go sideways. This is where it should've gotten scary, but I was just raising my eyebrow at the over-the-top behavior of Mickey and his pals. No way would this crew be on this side of a jail cell. And SPOILER, in the climax, Mickey is impossible to kill. He gets blown up, drowned, and beaten (supposedly) to death, but he still manages to get away? And then Paul and Chloe are turned on enough to screw? Come on now.

C-

Labels: , , , ,