Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/05/2021

Remember Me (2010)

A girl witnesses the murder of her mother. Flash forward a decade and we're in the year 2001 and the girl is in college. A guy whose older brother committed suicide years ago has distanced himself from his wealthy family. The two meet and fall for each other and whatever. There seemed to be no reason to tell this unremarkable story nor any reason to set it in 2001. Which... come to think of it... is a sort of big year, right?

When the couple takes a short trip for Labor Day weekend, I was starting to roll my eyes because I finally got what this was. And, yes, it's true that most lives that got snuffed on 9/11 weren't huge ones. But it felt pretty manipulative to use such a tragedy to give this story importance. I don't think it worked.

C

Labels: , , ,