Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/14/2021

Mi Obra Maestra (2018)

Renzo is a cantankerous painter way past his prime earning years. He has just one friend left: art dealer Arturo, and he's pushing that relationship to its limit. After a devastating accident, Renzo realizes he does not want to continue living this way, so Arturo does what he can to help.

My complaint about this film is also, improbably, its strength: I was so put off by Renzo in the first two-thirds of the movie that I was also ready for him to die. His antics were not "fun," but neither were they so over-the-top that it veered into parody -- it was an in-between "why is this a movie," feeling. The final portion of the film pretty much redeemed the whole.

B

Labels: , , ,