Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/03/2022

My Happy Family (2017)

Manana is a high school teacher who lives with her parents, along with her husband and two grown children. She decides to find a little place of her own, which seems less about divorce and more about finding peace. After spending some time with her family in their crowded house, I completely understood this -- the constant chatter and crowding was stifling. The reactions to her decision were both over-the-top and recognizable: it was the type of reaction you'd expect from a hyper-religious family getting the news that a macho son was gay.

While the story was well-done and believable, I could barely stand any of the people in the family. Yes, I was on Manana's side, but I was also annoyed with her as she seemed to have allowed her news to come out of left field. In short, I didn't enjoy my time with these people.

B-

Labels: , ,