Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/02/2024

Burning (2018)

The gist of the story: Jong-so bumps into a Hae-mi, young woman he used to know, and agrees to catsit for her during an upcoming trip. She returns with Ben, a friend she made while away, and they're invited to a party with Ben's friends. Jong-so is uneasy about Ben, who tells Jong-so that he enjoys burning down greenhouses and is scoping out some near Jong-so's childhood home. Jong-so decides to patrol the area to identify likely greenhouses and, I guess, protect them from Ben (??)  and then Hae-mi disappears.

I mean, I think I got what was going on here, but it was so convoluted and rambling that I wound up not really caring. There was some weird stuff with Jong-so not remembering Hae-min and she told a story about falling down a well that her family said never happened... I don't know what the hell was up with that. Regardless: Steven Yeun was really good as the rich and entitled Ben.

C-

Labels: , , ,