Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/29/2024

Close (2022)

Leo and Remi are the type of best friends who spend every waking minute together. If they aren't spending the night their parents ask why, since it's unusual for them to be apart. Only when they begin junior high and their closeness is questioned does Leo begin to see the relationship through different eyes. Remi struggles to understand the new paradigm as Leo begins to place boundaries and forge a new path for himself.

This tore me up in a primal way. The topics are so natural and familiar -- even though I'm in my 50s, I can remember the all-encompassing hurt of a friendship coming apart. It's a marvelous and brutal film.

A+

Labels: , , ,