Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/04/2024

Poor Things (2023)

My sister and I watched this for about 30 minutes before bailing -- it felt like weirdness for the sake of weirdness and shock for the sake of shocking. I'm glad I came back to it because, once Bella leaves the house, things really take off.

I quite enjoyed Bella's journey and found it oddly inspiring. Her innocent lack of social graces just made social graces feel slightly ridiculous. Her incredulity, for example, at being expected to keep food she found repulsive in her mouth made me wonder why we ever agreed to swallow nasty stuff. We are born to freedom and wonder and pleasure but somehow, without even noticing, we shrink ourselves to fit a mold that makes us miserable.

Society is a truly crazy construct.

B+

Labels: , , , , , ,