Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/06/2024

High Fidelity (2000)

In the wake of getting dumped, Rob decides to reconnect with other women from his past who'd broken his heart in hopes of finding clarity. Meanwhile, he's still dealing with his day-to-day: running his record store along with his two employees who share his passion for music. A lot of the time, Rob is speaking directly to the camera, as though we're the only friend who's truly interested in what he has to say and it really works. I kept asking myself "Where has John Cusack gone? He's so good!"

But Cusack's not the only thing working here: Jack Black & Todd Louiso as the record store employees are terrific, as are the women in Rob's life. I also loved the practical destination of Rob's journey. He figures some stuff out and is also able to take an honest look at his own behavior. His speech about the fantasy of other women vs. the actuality of relationships and their real-life issues was insightful and showed real growth.

Also: it's a musical feast. Next time I watch this, I'll set aside 5 or 6 hours to do so so that I can pause and play the music being discussed -- I have loved this despite not catching all the references, but I can only assume I'd be even more enchanted if I could sink into the music as well.

A-

Labels: , , , ,