Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, MO, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/10/2024

Captains Courageous (1937)

After getting suspended from school, a rich spoiled brat has to accompany his father on business via ship. When he falls overboard, he's rescued by a fishing boat and has to live and work on the boat for weeks, until they return to port. The adjustment isn't easy for him or the crew.

I first saw this with my boys back when they were in elementary school and remembered that we all enjoyed it immensely. It doesn't disappoint on second watch, either -- it's so charming and heartwarming. My only gripe is with Spencer Tracy's overdone accent, but even that is doesn't get in the way of this film's loveliness.

A-

Labels: , , , ,