Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/16/2004

Monster (2003)

Alright, I heard Roger Ebert say something like that if the Oscar doesn't go to Charlize Theron for this performance, they might as well just quit giving them out because there's no doubt she should win. Well, bah on Roger Ebert. Yeah, she's unrecognizable. But once that wears off, we're left with just a cycle of the same ol' stuff. There are times when she really pulls off some amazing acting (on job interviews...at the amusement park...on trial) -- but, for the most part, I think she's relying too much on her costume. I'd vote for her, given my options, but it's not the "Wow" I was expecting. Movie's fine though a bit episodic...Ricci's downright irritating (but it's possible Selby is irritating, in which case, she nailed her).

B

Labels: , , ,