Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/10/2006

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)

As we would fast-forward through advertisements on TiVo, both Gary and I would stop and back it up if we even thought we glimpsed a Borat spot, so of course we couldn't pass up watching the MTV half-hour preview show hosted by the two stars of the film. Unfortunately doing so made watching the film a little less hysterical as many of the great scenes (most notably the rodeo anthem) were shown during it.

I think I'd have had a better time in the theater if the whole thing had been fresh -- this, for me, is not something I'm going to want to watch over and over. Still, Baron Cohen's an amazing talent: committed to his character and extremely funny on the fly...though a little less so during the obviously scripted bits.

B

Labels: , , ,