Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/04/2006

The Shop Around the Corner (1940)

Probably the seventh or eighth time I've seen this film -- never gets old. Not even Margaret Sullavan's weird voice can ruin the delightfully tart dialogue. And, although it culminates on Christmas Eve, that's no reason to confine viewing it to the holiday season.

"You've Got Mail" was a remake of this classic and, while that movie's charming in its own right, I much prefer this version. I mean, it's not difficult to choose between 1) Jimmy Stewart as a hardworking, put-upon shop clerk with very little cash but a heart full of ardor and 2) Tom Hanks as the jerky owner of a small business-killing mega-chain.

A-

Labels: , , , , ,