Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/13/2006

21 Up (1977)

This time the filmmakers decided to gather these young adults, who were first captured on film for British TV at age seven, for a screening of the first two installments. The mingling afterward is some of the most interesting footage here. Many of them seem to want to try to analyze who they were back then -- comparing their "now" selves with the "then" children and young teenagers. They're as interested in the changes as we are, apparently.

One thing I'd noticed in the second installment but which was, in this one, much more pronounced, was what seemed to be a bias coming from the interviewer (who, I assume, is Michael Apted himself). He almost talks down to Symon, who seems to deliberately choose not understand what's being implied about his not-good-enough lifestyle. The trio of schoolgirls, now all working class women -- two of whom are already married -- do not take the bias so calmly. Jackie and Lynn especially seem quite agitated when it's suggested that they might be jealous of those who've had more money and less hardship.

This was, for me, the most intriguing update so far. I've now got people for whom I'm rooting (Tony) and those who baffle me (Suzy). Reality contestants have nothing on these true reality stars.

A-

Labels: , , , ,