Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/24/2007

Volver (2006)

I saw this one at the Moxie (which, I think, was the perfect venue) with my sister (whom, I think, was the perfect partner). The Moxie tends to attract a more "serious" filmgoing crowd and I'm snobby enough to think that kind of matters sometimes.

That's why I was shocked for this to be the occasion of the most inappropriate reaction to a movie scene I've ever witnessed. On-screen there's a long-estranged mother finally giving voice to all the shocking hurt that her daughter suffered, mentally and physically, and cathartically taking responsibility for it. And there, in the middle of the theater, is a ponytailed bimbo laughing all the way through it. This wasn't just a weird sound that might have been a laugh, might have been an odd sneeze. This was no "oh, my boyfriend tickled me at the most awful time, I'm so embarrassed!" It was the unmistakable gale of someone who didn't understand that the scene wasn't meant to be funny. Laughter that says "I don't really get it, but I'll laugh loudly so no one knows I don't get it!" I wanted to smack her and whoever thought it was a good idea to bring her -- but I just wimpily settled for scowling at her on the way out. Go me!

Anyway, the movie's great. Emotional and funny and surprising.

A

Labels: , , , ,