Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/09/2007

Children of Men (2006)

A "seems like it could actually happen" view of the future. The world is in utter chaos and apparently suffering from mass depression (government-provided suicide kits are available to anyone who wants them), the cause of which seems to be the human race's infertility. I guess when there's no possibility of future generations, people have a hard time coping. Go figure.

Clive Owen is wonderful as a guy who appears to be rather unaffected by the goings on around him -- as though he's always been the misanthrope we see rather than having become one due to circumstance. Of course, there's more to him than meets the eye.

The story really does a decent job of showing us what a world without hope looks like, but I almost feel like it was too ambitious for the time it had. I don't know that I can really fault it for not living up to my expectations as it did a good job with the material -- I guess I'm just not sure that the material should have been pressed into a feature-length format in the first place.

B+

Labels: , , , ,