Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/01/2007

Mini's First Time (2006)

So high-schooler Mini's got money, a nubile body, and freedom to do whatever she wants whenever she wants. She chooses to use her resources to actively ruin everyone around her.

Alec Baldwin, Carrie-Ann Moss, Jeff Goldblum, and Luke Wilson all do their darndest and might have been able to pull this off if it weren't for one huge problem: the lead. I mean -- what in the world happened to Nikki Reed? I thought she was incredible in Thirteen (her first role) -- but here she's just so boring. I think the entire movie hinged on us getting "on board" with Mini's schemes, but I just wanted someone to knock her down a flight of stairs. If the role had been played with a spark of fun, I'm almost positive the grade would be a full letter higher.

I think the script, directing, and Ms. Reed all deserve a "D" -- but the acting by most of the cast and some decent scenes are enough to push it to "almost OK" grade of...

C-

Labels: , , , ,