Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/14/2007

One Night of Love (1934)

One of those movies centering on music I hate. Even if a film had a great script, likable actors, and beautiful set design, my lack of enthusiasm for sopranos singing opera would kill it for me -- so the fact that this movie possesses none of the above means it's already fighting a losing battle for my affections.

Story in a nutshell: poor girl with good voice is "discovered" by a demanding teacher with a reputation for falling in love with his female protégés. He's had enough of that and she's not interested anyway, so they make a deal to keep things strictly professional. You don't have to be a psychic to see where this is going to end up...

The film also makes the huge mistake of assuming their lead is charming when she's actually pretty full of herself and rather annoying. It's difficult to care much about the petty slights this prima donna "suffers" when I believed she'd earned every bit of heartache (however short-lived) she experienced.

D+

Labels: , , , ,