Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/12/2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)

I'll first explain that I saw this with a group during an out-of-state get-together for mafiascum -- so I was exhausted, which could have compromised my enjoyment somewhat.

But still. It seems that all the slow angst from the book has been thrown out in favor of quick spectacle. The insidious Umbridge becomes a joke with power here and the petulant Harry (whose attitude, I'll admit, got on my last nerve when I was reading) is instead a tormented hero. We moved at such a clip throughout that I barely had time to register what had just happened before we were on to the next big scene. And, when I think back on it, I believe that the pace is fully responsible for any illusion of excitement as the content itself is pretty "eh." We spent more than two hours barely getting anywhere, but we did get to see a bunch of flashy lights!

I was tired. Rather than waking me up, this film just wore me out.

B-

Labels: , , , ,