Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/15/2008

Margot at the Wedding (2007)

First thing: I'm pretty sure I'm not a fan of Noah Baumbach's screenplays -- the three I've seen (The Life Aquatic, The Squid and the Whale, and this one) deal with such over-the-top situations as to be either dismissable or completely unrelateable for the average person. The level of dysfunctionality in the families he creates is almost oppressive. Sure, I believe that some people are like this, but I feel like I'm having to take it rather than enjoy what's up on screen.

I do have to say that he has quite a way with children; they were all terrific. And, actually, all the actors did a tremendous job with uncomfortable scenes. I do think the film is interesting and perhaps I'll revisit this later on when I'm done digesting it -- but, for now, I'll just say it's well-done but unrelenting.

C+

Labels: , , ,