Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/29/2008

Summer and Smoke (1961)

The fact that this film is based on a Tennessee Williams play was enough to have it languish in my TiVo's "Now Playing" list for months before I finally forced myself to watch it (I'm decidedly not a fan).

But, as Williams goes, this one is pretty palatable. Sheltered/inexperienced adult daughter of a preacher and embarrassingly senile mother gets a crush on her bad-boy neighbor, but has little idea of how to get his attention.

It's uncomfortable in places, but the mood is almost too safe to have any real impact.

C+

Labels: , , , ,