Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/26/2008

The Breakfast Club (1985)

The first time I saw this, we were on the way back from my Senior Class trip to Colorado. Since I attended a Christian High School during the "if it's in a theater, it's evil" era, this was pretty sneaky of the five girls who braved leaving the hotel despite the low difficulty afforded by the fact that our sponsor had a just-broken-on-the-slopes leg.

Since the circumstances of my first viewing were that I was very young (16), quite easily impressed, and made artificially exciting by the "what if we get caught?!" vibe, I was far from sure that it could be as good as I remembered. Somehow, though, it really does hold up. Since the focus is so small -- basically one day, one set, five kids -- it doesn't feel as dated as Heathers and the core themes are every bit as true today as they were then.

I have to say, I'm relieved that this thrilling memory from my less-than-thrilling high school years wasn't wrecked by another viewing. Both of my sons even liked it!

B+

Labels: , , ,