Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/08/2008

How the Garcia Girls Spent Their Summer (2008)

Before the movie started, an onscreen notice warned that portions of the film lacked sound for artistic effect. As I watched the movie, I couldn't help but wonder if there could possibly be some deliberate reason for the lack of plot, direction, acting skills, and return on time spent watching...

Basically, the Garcia "girls" (actually only one girl -- the other two Garcias are a lonely divorcee and an equally lonely grandmother), spend their summer sticking their nose into each others' business and screwing around...just like everyone else in the dead-end desert town.

There's one scene that stood out in particular as symbolic of the rest of the film to me. The middle Garcia, Lolita, in a sexual panic, digs her vibrator out for a little "me" time. It's not buzzing, so she pillages the batteries from the TV's remote (um...didn't Nancy pull that little trick on Weeds?) and gets busy. The camera focuses on her face...her little moans...the satisfaction...I mean, even typing it is rather uncomfortable -- but the length of time the camera was trained on Lolita's face during this episode made me pretty icked out -- and I was watching it alone in my living room. It just seemed so dang obvious that the director had no idea how long was too long and that the audience would have very little interest in sharing the entirety of this moment with Lolita. She didn't have a clue about this -- which should have been an easy scene -- and it just got worse with the rest of the movie.

This is a tiny story. It should have been a small movie. Instead it's bloated to over 2 hours. Edited down to 85 minutes or so would've likely been just right (though I still doubt I would've liked it...just fairly sure I wouldn't have loathed it).

F

Labels: , , , ,