Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/23/2009

W. (2008)

1) Who cares about George W. Bush right now? Even a year ago, this movie may have been relevant. Perhaps a decade from now, the subject may warrant revisiting. But now? When our hopes are pinned to the future? I just wanna put the guy out of my mind.

2) This movie isn't good enough -- even if I had a current interest in the subject. There was no point of view and no throughline to the narrative. So many of the scenes were "private moments," which meant they had to be mentally questioned (did that really happen? Did he say that?). It didn't paint Bush in a bad light...it didn't really comment at all. Basically, why should I care? And what was up with the time jumping? And why did we see the close-up of a chick stepping on a corn cob? And how come Elizabeth Banks as Laura never aged unless you count hairdo (which I don't)?

C-

Labels: , , ,