Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/30/2009

Waltz with Bashir (2008)

If it weren't for the animation, this movie would be nothing special. And, frankly, the animation wasn't arresting enough to save it from being slightly boring. Felt like I'd heard this type of story told better many times before.

I also want to mention that, at the VERY end, the animation falls away and reveals live action footage of corpses. It didn't punch me in the gut -- it pissed me off. Suddenly stripping war-time horror of the monochromatic color-scheme and shifting lines to tack a "POW" onto a mediocre story is exploitative. Or, thinking of it "backward" if you like, masking war-time horror with flash animation renders that horror palatable...and that's a pretty silly accomplishment.

D+

Labels: , , , , ,