Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/02/2009

The Informant! (2009)

This based-on-fact film had me saying "no way" throughout. I don't doubt the basic story: high-up corporate guy wants to expose the corruption hampering his work while keeping his own corporate hanky-panky on the down-low...but the story's told so bouncily that I had a hard time trusting that it wasn't a put-on.

Damon plays the title character (employing a completely entertaining voiceover) as a pathological liar, genius, innocent, and patsy. Can he possibly be all of these things? The film would have you believe that's the case. I mean, it got SO unbelievable that it veered back onto the path of "well...they've gone so far that it must be the truth."

But that's the thing. It went so far that I was ready for it to end far earlier than Whiteacre was ready to give it up. I was surprised, on exiting the theater, to find that it wasn't nearly as late as I'd been guessing -- the shenanigans seemed to drag on for hours.

B-

Labels: , , ,