Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/07/2009

Anvil: The Story of Anvil (2009)

We're die-hard Spinal Tap fans -- I mean, seriously, Gary actually went to one of their concerts during the Break Like the Wind tour...and, yes, that album title still makes me snicker. When we heard about this movie, we knew we had to see it.

The first 20 minutes or so are extremely entertaining. "Like a real-life Spinal Tap!" we nodded to each other, echoing the film's publicity. But, once we finally settled into their world, our smiles faded and it just felt so very sad. It's so much fun to laugh when everyone's in on the joke, but it was as impossible to keep chuckling at Anvil as it would be to point and laugh at an armless man trying to work a doorknob.

Basically, I was cringing and praying for it end while "Lips" (the band's driving force) just wanted to keep on rocking. I wound up wondering if the guy might have a bit of a mental deficiency. Good times.

C

Labels: , , ,