Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/04/2010

A Single Man (2009)

Affecting and gorgeous (love that mid-century modern house!) film marred by an unfortunate cop-out of an ending. But, oh, the poetry of the images to which we're treated up until the movie comes to a close are to die for.

Colin Firth (my personal pick for best actor for this role) drifts through the scenery at a necessary remove from the life around him. I love the way the film is directed as gauzy in the "present" -- when I try to conjure up his co-workers and neighbors, they seem to be dreams. His memories, however, are a different story. They're vibrant and alive because, in them, his recently killed boyfriend is still vibrantly alive, lending the past a color that the present just can't offer.

There's a lot more to this film than just the set decoration and cinematography but, even if that was it, I believe it'd be enough. It's that lovely.

A

Labels: , , , ,