Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/06/2016

The Dark Matter of Love (2012)

Interesting doc following a late-forties couple and their teenage daughter’s transition as they adopt a pre-teen daughter and young twin boys from Russia. It was excruciating to watch them struggle through the first several months -- I found myself angry at them for their obvious lack of preparation. I mean, they didn’t learn a lick of Russian and they changed their new kids' names without, apparently, informing or asking them. One of the boys wound up with the name "Cole" which apparently is the Russian word for a shot in the rump. The parents seem nice enough, but they're also over-privileged Americans who are, quite literally, Disneyfied in their view of the world.

But still. They somehow get through that very hard first year and form a family. Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to do it all at once, but I couldn’t help but be inspired regardless.

B

Labels: , , ,