Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/23/2019

Super Dark Times (2017)

From the very first minutes -- two friends hanging out, flipping through their yearbook talking about which girls are hot -- I was sold. The banter felt real. The friendship was unforced. I could believe these kids had known each other for a decade or more; their day was incredibly conventional.

When things go very wrong, the kids' responses felt consistently authentic. Even the ending, which both scared and confused me at first, I feel is justified. It's neither tidy nor explained to death. It just is. And that's an impressive level of directorial assurance: tell the story & let the viewer respond as they will.

B+

Labels: , , , , ,