Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/27/2020

Dirty Dancing (1987)

I was 19 and in my third year of college when this came out so, needless to say, I was exactly the right age to romanticize the hell out of it. Matter of fact, I bought the soundtrack on cassette and played it incessantly -- one night enjoying it through three full times while I made out with my future husband in his tiny Toyota Corolla. So it was a travesty to find out that he'd never actually seen it.

I'm happy to say that, while it's dated and extremely slight, it does hold up. Grey seems slightly out of her league at times, but it doesn't really matter. The music, dancing, and forbidden love are the draws here and it's got those in spades. Also, it was nice to have both Orbach and Swayze, definitely putting the "great" in late, on my screen for the evening.

B-

Labels: , , , ,