Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/14/2020

Toast (2011)

Nigel has a distant father and a kind mother who can't cook. He yearns for something tastier to hit the table. He does, sadly, get his wish when his mother dies and his father takes up with rough woman who can set a helluva table. Problem is, he hates everything else about her and she doesn't much care for him.

This is based on the memoir of Nigel Slater, a celebrated London food writer. And, frankly, I didn't buy it. The whole thing came off as "poor little me" when there seemed to be very little that was truly bad in his life. Furthermore, I seriously doubted the pettiness of his stepmother. It seemed unnecessary and counterproductive to her goals.

C-

Labels: , , , ,