Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/26/2021

Supernova (2021)

Sam and Tusker (sidenote: what the hell kind of name is Tusker??) are on a nostalgic road trip. They've been together for a long time, but are facing the end of their relationship due to Tusker's dementia diagnosis. He's slipping away and they want to see people and places that figure heavily into their lives before he can no longer attach importance to them.

Nothing much happens, and that's OK. Or it would be alright if it felt like I was truly seeing intimate moments rather than playacting at intimate moments. I tried to explain it to myself -- that there's a feeling of pretense because Tusker's attempting to keep the mood light even though they're both despairing -- but I really think it's because the actors on screen were so ill-matched. Not that Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci can't be believable as a couple, but that Firth is so clearly the superior actor. He broke my heart.

B-

Labels: , , ,