Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/08/2022

The Electrical Life of Louis Wain (2021)

I had never heard of Louis Wain, but I was charmed within the first minutes of meeting him. His talent and lack of concern for others' expectations were both interesting and disarming. His chaotic family life was similarly absorbing -- I wished to experience that kind of happy mess for myself. About 30 minutes in, I told Gary that he would absolutely love this film.

But then things change. First in his life: marriage and a shunning by society, then in his mind. The difference between the two parts of the film were stark enough that they felt like two completely different stories. Maybe that's just life... but it felt more like a storytelling/direction issue to me.

C

Labels: , , ,